Shirehill Farm provides a safe, enjoyable and interactive outdoor classroom across the 50ha mixed farming and woodland site.
School visits can enjoy undisturbed countryside whilst having access to our outdoor facilities. This hands on experience provides a unique learning environment with option to incorporate variety of flexible subjects, within your curriculum.
The farm provides a range of educational features including;
- A thriving aquatic habitat with access to 0.5 acre stream fed pond
- First hand examples of contemporary forest/land management, with a broad range of ecological, botanical and agricultural features
- A sheltered outdoor workroom (up to 20 people) and double compost loo
- Examples of Natural England’s Higher Environmental Stewardship scheme
- An operational wind turbine which powers the farm buildings and provides electricity back to the National Grid
A host of activities can be pre-arranged from our CEVAS certified team members, they include;
- Animals and Wildlife Spotting
- Art and Photography
- Bird, Tree and Wild Flower Identification
- Compass and Orienteering including new Geo-Caching
- Pond Dipping and Species Identification
Minibus parking, Toilets, Hand Washing and Undercover Picnic Area
In simple terms, our aim is to reconnect our friends, followers and family with nature. Whether that’s with one of walks or one of our hands on farm days.
We aim to allow individuals from all backgrounds and understandings to come to a working farm, and gain a practical understanding of farming and land management.
We feel its important that people see where home grown and organic food comes from, whilst providing visitors the opportunity to get muddy and step away from home comforts…………… for a day at least!